Description of Group/Project:
The FunNanoSurf group focuses on the development of new photo- and/or electronically sensitive functional molecular systems, methodologies and devices for the deposition and use of such materials on substrates. The acquisition of knowledge and the application of hybrid devices (molecule+substrates) created in simple steps, which can be applied as sensors, is one of our main objectives. The testing and application of devices that aid molecular deposition is part of a recent European-wide project, ERC-2022-PoC2 101138186, entitled: "Launch of a universal sublimation technology for molecular transfer on substrates (smolSUB)".
The work will be related to the testing of several devices created by the group for the creation of smart substrates that can be used for various tasks, such as molecular-based electronic transistors, surface coating or light sensors for the identification of metals and small molecules, including biomolecules.
This dynamic, multidisciplinary project enables innovation and training, as well as providing the opportunity to collaborate with other groups at national and international level.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
The research scientist will be involved in the optimization and search for deposition methods for various applications related to sensors, molecular electronics, and surface coating. This will include the following tasks :
- Synthesis, characterization of molecular systems (NMR, FT-IR, electrochemistry, simple/powder XRD, among others) and their deposition on different substrates (AFM, TEM, SEM, optical and confocal microscopy).
- Development and optimization of the performance of molecule-based devices, including evaluation of test conditions, analytical characterization, stability and robustness studies, and final validations.
- Report writing.
- Qualifications Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or Nanoscience.
- Professional experience:
- Preparation of molecular-based nanomaterials.
- Nanomaterial characterisation techniques
- Communication, proactivity and teamwork skills
- Fluency in English
- Full-time, 1-year contract
- Salary according to official CSIC pay scale (M3)
- Flexible, friendly and multidisciplinary environment
- Location: Bellaterra (Barcelona), SPAIN
How to apply?
All applications should include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Two letters of reference or reference contacts.
15/11/2023 or when a suitable candidate is found. However, in the interest of gender equality, it may be extended until the ratio of female to male candidates is reasonable.
The Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC) is a multidisciplinary research center focused on cutting-edge research in functional advanced materials in the fields of ENERGY, ELECTRONICS, NANOMEDICINE and application fields yet to imagine.
The ICMAB is integrated within the Barcelona Nanocluster in Bellaterra (BNC-b), a research network that includes the UAB, the CSIC (ICMAB, IMB-CNM and ICN2) and IRTA, part of the UAB Research Park of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (PRUAB) and the ALBA Synchrotron. The BNC-b aims to share advanced scientific equipment and promote and disseminate nanoscience and nanotechnology.
The ICMAB offers a complete range of scientific services, including a 10,000 class cleanroom (the Nanoquim Platform) that are open to interested parties, whether these are academic or from industry, and it participates in all kinds of educational and promotional activities. Many ICMAB researchers teach at the UAB Master's degree in Nanotechnology and Materials Science and also on the UAB degree on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.