ICMAB becomes full member of ECSITE, the European network of science centres and museums
- News 07 July 2017 1904 hits
The Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB) has become a new member of the European network of science centres and museums ECSITE, which was created more than 25 years ago to foster creativity and critical thinking in European society, emboldening citizens to engage with science.
Our Institute will join the other ECSITE members around Europe to participate in projects and collaborate in science engagement actions. Other centres in Catalonia are already ECSITE members:
- Barcelona Ciència - Institut de Cultura de Barcelona
- Fundació Bancària “la Caixa” (CosmoCaixa Barcelona) de Barcelona
- Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia (ICN2) de Bellaterra
- mmaca-museu de matemàtiques de Catalunya de Barcelona
- Museu Agbar de les Aigües de Cornellà de Llobregat
- Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona
Our aim is to meet different organizations around Europe so that we can build bridges and collaborations, participate in European projects together, share ideas about science engagement and outreach, and participate in the ECSITE meetings!
A little bit of historyEcsite was founded in January 1989 by 23 organisations from the young European science centres scene. Over the past 25 years, the association has grown considerably in size and scope, adapting to its members' changing social role and organisational needs. The idea to create a network to facilitate co-operation among European science centres emerged in autumn 1988 in Boston during a meeting of ASTC, the Association of Science Technology Centres. Ecsite's formal birth as an international non-profit organisation under Belgian jurisdiction followed in 1990. Ecsite is the acronym of “European Collaborative for Science, Industry and Technology Exhibitions”, the organisation’s initial name. Over the years, Ecsite’s mission broadened and its membership widened to reach more than 350 organisations today. Ecsite’s vision is to foster creativity and critical thinking in European society, emboldening citizens to engage with science. Its mission is to inspire and empower science centres, museums and all organisations that engage people with science, and to promote their actions. The network gathers more than 350 organisations in Europe and world-wide.
- Shape the future of science engagement
- Watch trends, boost creativity and learn from each other
- Harness its members’ collective powers and catalyse social impact
- Collaborate at European level and worldwide
Related Topics: PRESS-Websites News